Interoperability and Services
PANGAEA is furnished with a well developed interoperability framework thus allowing to disseminate metadata and data to registries, data portals, and other service providers.
PANGAEA offers a wide range of web services (SOAP / REST). This includes OAI-PMH for metadata harvesting. For selected applications we can supply our data warehouse web service. The API allows to retrieve any set of numerical and textual data. All PANGAEA datasets also ship with Schema.org/Dataset metadata. Please, contact us, if you are interested to use our interoperability services.
Among data portals supported are
- ICSU WDS – PANGAEA supplies metadata to the data portal of the World Data System and takes care of the WDS search engine.
- WIS – as World Radiation Monitoring Center PANGAEA is contributing with baseline surface radiation data to the World Meteorological Organisation Information System (WIS).
- GEOSS – PANGAEA supplies one of the core data inventories for the Global Earth Observation System of Systems.
- OpenAIRE – the data portal allows to search for literature and data.
- GBIF, OBIS – a special filter allows to serve species occurrences data to the Global Biodiversity Facility (GBIF) and the Ocean Biogeographic Information System (OBIS).
- GFBio – the data portal of the German Federation for Biological Data (GFBio) comprises biodiversity related data such as ecological, environmental, collection, and genome data.
- DataONE – the Data Observation Network for Earth enables universal access to data and also facilitates researchers in fulfilling their need for data management and in providing secure and permanent access to their data.
Other infrastructures supported include
- DataCite – all data sets in PANGAEA are minted with a Digital Object Identifier Name (DOI Name) and metadata is published through DataCite.
- ORCID – allows users to login with their ORCID ID and link it to their user profile in PANGAEA. In this way data publications are automatically assigned to matching ORCID IDs.
- Scholix – supplies links between scholarly literature and data.
- Google Dataset Search – Similar to how Google Scholar works, Dataset Search lets you find datasets wherever they're hosted, whether it's a publisher's site or a data center. PANGAEA implements the JSON-LD standard to equip all datasets with Schema.org/Dataset metadata according to Google's guidelines.
- Science Direct, Scopus, PMC – bilateral services dynamically link data publications in PANGAEA to literature in PubMed Central as well as in Elsevier’s Science Direct (example) and Scopus.
- DCI – all data publications in PANGAEA are contributed to the Thomson Reuters Data Citation Index.