Submit Data to PANGAEA
Welcome to the PANGAEA data submission system. We highly appreciate that you want to archive and publish your data with PANGAEA. PANGAEA accepts data from a wide range of disciplines from earth and life sciences.
However, please make sure to check out our guidelines and documentation before you submit. In the following section you find a set of options where to begin.
When you start the data submission process, you will be redirected to the PANGAEA issue tracker that will assist you in providing metadata and uploading data files. Any communication with our editors will go through this issue tracker. For more details about the submission workflow see our tutorial.
Please note: All data and metadata are quality checked, harmonized, and processed for machine readability, which allows efficient and reliable re-usage of your data. Depending on the extent and complexity of your data submission the editorial process and minting of DOI names for submission not affiliated to our hosts, project partners and partners (front-offices) might therefore take up to several months. If you want to know more on how to become a front-office partner please contact us. Due to the high volume of submissions, it is unfortunately not possible to answer questions about the current processing status.
Before submitting your data you need to log in or sign up:
Do you need more information about data submissions to PANGAEA?
You can consult our user documentation (Wiki) for general and specific details about data submissions to PANGAEA anytime. You will find many relevant topics such as the following:
- The submission process and minimum required metadata,
- Structural requirements of submitted data (see also our note on our helpful data templates below),
- Required details concerning the sampling or observations (e.g. Events),
- Tips about writing a descriptive data abstract.
We have also created a set of best practice manuals and templates for submissions to help our data authors provide the necessary contextual information and data in accordance with our guidelines and requirements. One can choose between the rather generic commented template for environmental field observations and various discipline specific manuals & templates for e.g. biological data, chemical data and many more.
If you are more the audio-visual type, you can also check out the relevant video recordings about data submission and best practice material from our training workshops on our Youtube channel.
You are also warmly invited to join one of our bi-annual PANGAEA Community Workshops taking place usually around November (Data submission) and May (data search & retrieval). Stay tuned via the PANGAEA news or our training mailing list if you don't want to miss one of them.
Benefits and Details
Benefits. Published data are fully citable and can be cross-referenced with journal articles – more...
- Long term preservation of data. PANGAEA is member of the World Data System (WDS) of the International Science Council.
- Quality assurance on metadata, such as citation, references, geo-location, and standard parameter vocabularies.
- Reliable identification and access with a DOI name for each data supplement.
- Pre-publication, password protected access to data supplements for journal editors in support to the peer-review process.
- Minimum formatting requirements from the authors.
- Direct communication with authors regarding changes to data and metadata, e.g. unit conversions, taxonomy updates.
- Open access to data in several widely accepted machine-readable formats.
- Choice of several Creative Commons licenses to allow scientific reuse.
- If you log in with your ORCID ID or add the ID to your PANGAEA user profile, authorship for your data publications is automatically assigned in ORCID.
Data preparation and quality control. We will be in direct contact with you during preparation and archiving of your data – more...
Costs. PANGAEA can be used free of charge. Nevertheless, we appreciate any possible financial support – more...
Submitting data to PANGAEA is rather easy, all you need is your data, some additional information called metadata, and the willingness to open up your data to the world. PANGAEA is a fully curated data repository, so once you take the initial step by uploading your data, experienced data curators are going to help you personally through the further submission process. If you publish and long term archive your data with PANGAEA, they will become findable, accessible, inter-operable and reusable following the FAIR principles.
If you have any questions or comments on the data submission process, please contact us.